When you think of rolls, you probably think of the white flour rolls that aren’t all that great for you. Did you know that you can enjoy rolls that are delicious, filling and healthy? I always feel terrific when I eat seeds, and caraway seeds are some of my favorites! When I was in chef school, my instructor, Voila, spent many hours teaching us the many benefits of seeds, including why the flavor of caraway seeds has a cleansing appeal. My latest grain free caraway rolls will not only appease your appetite but they will also be doing many beneficial things to your own body! Caraway is best known as the crunchy seeds topping many rye breads, which I am unable to eat due to being celiac, but I do love a gluten free rye bread slice now and then, and this recipe satisfies that craving anyhow and this one is grain-free!
Caraway is one of the best herbs to prevent gas and bloating, and is a terrific solution for colds and congestion. Caraway seeds are also used in many medicinal preparations for treating rheumatism, eye infections and toothaches. Caraway seed oil treats fungus infections, and surprising to me is that its effective against candida infections. One can use caraway in combination with peppermint oil to relieve symptoms of IBS and indigestion.
Caraway seeds are a great addition to any active lifestyle and is perfect for clean eating, although I must make note if one has a kidney problem you must be careful with caraway. One can prepare caraway seed tea, or tinctures and the seeds can be eaten as a snack or sprinkled on baked goods like my paleo friendly caraway rolls. Feel free to make these caraway rolls as an appetizer to share with the family and be sure to let me know your thoughts!
Grain Free Caraway Rolls
- 2 ½ cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- ¼ cup light olive oil
- ⅛ cup honey, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- ½ cup caraway seeds
- OPTIONAL: small or large salt granules
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Sift together the flours, salt and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl mix the oil, honey and eggs together.
- Add the vinegar and mix well.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the caraway seeds.
- Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet in any shape and size of your preference.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.