If I were to tell you that this Apple Crumble Cheesecake is paleo, raw and dairy-free, would you believe me? Well, you should, because it’s true! This Paleo Apple Crumble Cheescake recipe is a real winner and is perfect for this coming Father’s day. Not only that, but it has quite a story as to why I chose to make this, which I think you may really enjoy. Not many people know that Heather Pace, a fellow recipe blogger who I love for many reasons, was a vegan for 16 years, three of which she was a raw-vegan. She wasn’t doing so well and decided to add animal protein back into her diet. Her ailments went away, her energy came back and she felt loads better (you can read her story below.) So, to celebrate her willingness to share her story with the world (and this upcoming Father’s Day), I decided to make a Paleo Apple Crumble Cheesecake (no dairy), which is essentially her Raw Apple Crumble Cheesecake, which I doubled and added a few twists. You can make this days in advance as well.
I want to say, it is not easy when you have built your livelihood and reputation on being a Raw Vegan blogger to come out and make it known you can no longer support that as the only diet and healthy lifestyle, and sharing her story is so commendable. I felt the same way when I was all about being a celiac and gluten free advocate as I was diagnosed celiac. Then, years later, I had to relent and share the fact I was not thriving on these gluten free grains and why. Another transformation was needed, and I went grain free and THRIVED!
Here it is, years later, and I have a whole new view about Paleo. I feel it is very customized for each individual for many reasons. Those reasons are so obvious to me now that I look back and realize how silly I had been, as the facts were sitting in front of my very eyes. There is no ONE diet for us all, but I do feel the Paleo Diet is an excellent starting point in cleaning up one’s diet and lifestyle for any one individual in need of help.
So, back to the celebrations, Father’s Day and Heather with a cheesecake that has no dairy, is raw, paleo and is also vegetarian and vegan—here you go! This can be eaten by just about everyone!
Heather’s original recipe and awesome photos are here, and be sure to check out her amazing site, which is one of my absolute favorites as I do not eat a ton of high protein and high fats on a daily basis, like so many people on Paleo do. How silly!
Paleo Apple Crumble Cheesecake
- Crust Ingredients
- 1⅓ cups almonds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped, dried apples
- 1 cup dates
- 1 tablespoon water
- Filling ingredients
- 4 cups peeled, diced apples
- 1 ½ cups cashews
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons coconut butter, melted
- 8 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- Pinch of salt
- Crumble ingredients
- 4 large apples, peeled and quartered
- 4 dates, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Make the crust.
- Process the almonds, coconut and apples down to a flour in a food processor.
- Add the dates and process until they are completely broken down.
- Add the water and pulse until the mixture is moist and crumbly.
- Set aside a lightly packed 1⅓ cup of the mixture to be used later in the crumble topping, and press the rest into a 9 inch springform pan and set your crust aside.
- Blend the first 5 filling ingredients until completely smooth.
- Add the coconut butter and oil.
- Blend again to incorporate.
- Pour over the crust.
- Chill the cheesecake in the freezer for 2-3 hours and then transfer to the fridge for at least 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, process all your crumble ingredients (including your 1⅓ cups of crust) down to small pieces in a food processor.
- DO NOT over process or it will turn to applesauce.
- Spread this over the chilled cheesecake.
- Sprinkle any remaining crumble on top.