Although I come up with a lot of complete recipes, I also like coming up with recipes that can be used to enhance other recipes; especially paleo recipes! This allows me to play with different flavors and satisfy everyone’s tastebuds, and that’s what I love about this paleo banana topper.
Toppings are such a great way to go about this. You can totally transform a dish with a topping or sauce. For example, make some plain paleo almond flour muffins and then make a couple of different toppings and let your guests pile them on. This saves time and energy too. Instead of making 4 different kinds of muffins, just make one and get creative with those toppings.
This recipe is a “fan favorite.” It’s sweet, refreshing and bananas! Who doesn’t like bananas?! You can use it to top your breakfast French toast or even some nice, cold ice cream. The possibilities are endless. Enjoy it and be sure to make more than you think you’ll need. Everyone will want more of it!
Paleo Banana Topper
- 1 very ripe, yet firm banana (if using for french toast, I use ½ - 1 to top each french toast piece)
- 1 tablespoon ghee, grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt per banana
- OPTIONAL: ⅛ teaspoon maple syrup
- OPTIONAL: paleo whipped cream
- Slice bananas diagonally for looks.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and add butter or fat of choice, cinnamon, salt and maple syrup if using.
- Add bananas and keep stirring until bananas soften.
- Turn heat down to low.
- The mixture will bubble slightly but do not allow it to burn.
- Remove from heat.
- IDEA: Pour over french toast or ice cream.
- OPTIONAL: Add a little paleo whipped cream or a little pinch of cinnamon for eye appeal.