I used to be a HUGE dessert fanatic on the gluten-free diet, which I followed for health reasons since I have celiac disease (which is triggered by gluten). I used to crave sweets ALL the time! I hosted a lot of gluten-free cupcake parties and taste-tested and reviewed all sorts of gluten-free treats from different companies, and boy, was I in heaven!
Funny thing is, now that I’m paleo-ish, my body gets what it needs and I’ve made it past the sugar and grain cravings, so sugar-free paleo desserts like these chocolate treats really satisfy my sweet tooth! I like to make a batch of these at the beginning of the week and leave a little bowl out for when I’m hanging out in the kitchen experimenting with paleo recipes, or for late at night when I’m chatting with my hubby or kids in the kitchen. (Wow, I really do spend a lot of time in the kitchen. It’s definitely the “hub” of the house since I’m such a foodie!)
I think you’ll find the dates surprisingly sweet, especially as you gradually lay off the sugar as you follow the paleo diet more and more strictly.
Makes 15 small treats.
Paleo Healthy Chocolate Treats
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup dates (medjool) –soft ones
- ¼ cup 100% dark chocolate powder (I only use organic)
- Crush walnuts fine in a pestle.
- Make date paste with your dates by mashing them and adding no more than 1 tsp pure H2O.
- Mix the walnuts and dates.
- Add chocolate powder.
- Blend evenly.
- Take a tsp or small melon ball scooper and make small balls evenly.
- You can refrigerate and eat in 30 minutes or you can flatten and dehydrate at 105 degrees for 12 hours.
From my kitchen to yours,