There are just those days when you want to make something easy, paleo, gluten-free and nutritious, like these these raw cacao squares or paleo peppermint patties. Of course it has to appeal to the senses, but with the array of fruits, nuts and ingredients we have these days, I’m finding it’s becoming easier to be creative in the kitchen with healthy and clean eating in mind as goals.
I am not a raw foodie per se, but there are many benefits to eating some foods in our diet uncooked. For example, many vegetables are far better raw for our bodies than if they’re cooked. Once some “foods” are heated up past a certain temperature, the vital and important enzymes are destroyed. Our bodies can and will use these enzymes to help break down and absorb nutrients. We wonder why we have so many digestion issues. Well, overcooking is an area I invite you all to inspect in your daily routines. Consider altering a few snacks or meals to lean more towards raw.
I do soak my nuts and seeds before making raw snacks and desserts like my recipe below. Soaking nuts and seeds helps break down hard-to-digest enzyme inhibitors. Raw Food Living explains this further for you: The main reason soaking nuts and seeds is so important is because they contain enzyme inhibitors to protect the nut or seed until it has what it needs for growing. Nature allowed the inhibitors and toxic substances to be easily removed when the conditions (enough rain and sun) were met. In nature, when it rains, the nut gets enough moisture so it can germinate and produce a plant. The plant then continues to grow with the sunlight. By soaking nuts and seeds, you release these toxic enzyme inhibitors AND increase the life and vitality contained within them!
Okay, folks. Let’s get to the fun stuff! Oh, if you ever have any questions, just go to my Contact page and email me, and I will be sure to get back to you.
Paleo Peppermint Patties - Cacao Squares Raw
- 1 cup walnuts, soaked and well drained
- 1 cup soft medjool dates, pitted and chopped slightly
- ½ cup measured 100% chocolate (melted in a microwave or in a double boiler. I've used cacao powder in the past yet I did not use it in this recipe. I used 100% pure Guittard or Valrhona chocolate. It is some of the finest you can get)
- 40 drops peppermint spirits or to taste (I used the brand from Herb Pharm)
- In a Vitamix, Bullet or powerful blender add the nuts and pulse until fine.
- Add the dates and melted chocolate slowly and keep smashing and blending with a spatula until mixed well.
- Add the peppermint spirits. (Now remember when you dehydrate these the essence will reduce a bit and not be near as strong just going through the dehydrating process.)
- You can (or not) very lightly grease your plastic dehydrator sheets with coconut oil.
- Spread the mixture on two sheets about 10 x 12 or smaller. If using an oven, place on a greased clean cookie sheet or wax paper.
- Thickness is up to you, but in the end I made these into square shapes, about ⅛ inch thick.
- Dehydrate at 105F° for approximately 8-10 hours (or at the lowest temperature your oven will allow) and then gently flip and place on same plastic sheet or remove and place on the grated sheets that come with the dehydrator allowing more air flow.
- Dehydrate another 6 or so hours until they firm up.
- Cut into desired shapes and serve.
- You can leave out or refrigerate.
- OPTIONAL: Add a dollop of coconut whipped “Kreem” or whipping topping of choice to your patties for a little extra touch.