Get your fiber fix while enjoying breakfast so you start your day off right. It’s recommended that we get 20-35 grams of dietary fiber a day, according to nutritionists. Coconut, an ideal paleo food, is actually a GREAT source of fiber.
- ¼ cup fine, unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup large unsweetened coconut pieces
- ¾ cup hazelnut or almond flour (or half and half)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Optional: grass-fed butter in place of coconut oil
- In a pan, toast the fine coconut on low heat and stir often to prevent burning – just until golden – remove from stove.
- Do the same with the large coconut.
- Mix the flour and baking soda and sift.
- In a separate bowl, mix 2 eggs then add vanilla and almond milk.
- Add egg mixture to dry mixture.
- Heat up a frying pan on medium heat and add 1 teaspoon coconut oil.
- Add 1/3 cup batter to the hot pan – turn down to low and let sit until small bubbles form.
- Gently flip.
- Cook until done and remove.
For topping, sprinkle with large coconut pieces and drizzle with maple syrup (and grass-fed butter).