This is for all my Fried Ice Cream lovers that are trying to avoid the vegetable oils, wheat and sugar that is in the standard Latin Fried Ice Creams. This recipe of mine can be made with any type of ice cream: paleo, coconut, vegan, non-dairy, etc. This is terribly easy, rewarding and absolutely delicious! I made this especially for my Latin friends and for Cinco de Mayo.
- 1 pint of vanilla ice cream of your choice: paleo, coconut, vegan, non-dairy, etc.
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2–1/2 tablespoons maple sugar*
- 2 teaspoons vanilla powder (I used the the Authentic Foods brand)
- OPTIONAL: paleo chocolate sauce and/or coconut cream
- *I am sure that date sugar will work just fine in place of maple sugar
- Make sure your ice cream is very hard before proceeding.
- Make 4 large scoops of vanilla and shape evenly, the size of a tennis ball.
- Place them on a platter spaced apart so they are not touching.
- Place the platter in the back of your freezer on a level surface for at least 1 hour.
- Toast the coconut flakes in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Stir constantly.
- You will begin to smell the toasted coconut as it turns golden. Continue until most if not all of your flakes are a light golden.
- Remove from the heat source.
- Let cool.
- Place flakes into a deep bowl.
- Add in the maple sugar and vanilla powder.
- Take a rubber spatula and start to break down the mixture a bit more.
- Do not make into a powder.
- Remove 4 frozen ice-cream balls. Act quickly!
- Roll one at a time in the mixture and use your hand to scoop it all over the ice cream ball to coat evenly.
- Place on waxed paper and place them all back in the back of the freezer for 30 minutes.
- OPTIONAL: Line 4 small plates or bowls with warmed paleo sugar-free chocolate sauce.
- Remove ice cream and place on top of the chocolate sauce.
- OPTIONAL: Top with extra coconut flakes.
- OPTIONAL: Top with coconut whipped cream.