Warm, tender fruit nestled under a blanket of cinnamon-scented, crumbly topping is the very definition of summer dessert. In each bite of sun-kissed peaches, you can taste warm rains, and dirt, and languid afternoons. – Melissa Joulwan
- 1 pound peaches (2-3 medium), cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 4 dried dates, pitted
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, chilled until solid, then diced
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, mix the peaches, lemon zest, and lemon juice with a wooden
- spoon. Allow to rest at room temperature while you prepare the topping.
- Place almond flour, dates, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in food processor. Pulse until combined.
- Sprinkle the chilled coconut oil chunks over the flour. Pulse about 10 times, then process on high for 5-10 seconds, until there are no lumps.
- Pour the topping into a bowl and use a fork to mix in the sliced almonds.
- For an 8-inch square pan: Pour the fruit into the pan, pressing it gently into place with the back of a wooden spoon. Sprinkle the almond topping over the fruit and lightly press it into the fruit with the back of the spoon.
- For individual ramekins: Place 4 ramekins on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Spoon generous 1/2-cup servings into individual ramekins, pressing the fruit into the ramekin with your hands. Press about 2 tablespoons of topping onto each ramekin.
- Cover the crisp lightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 5-10 more minutes, until browned.
Other sweet fruit and nut combinations:
peaches + 1 pound pitted cherries + sliced almonds
pears + sliced almonds or chopped walnuts
apples + chopped pecans
raspberries/blackberries/blueberries + sliced almonds
mangoes + chopped macadamias