This iconic Central European dish of stewed meat with vegetables, gets an upgraded kick with PRE Brands chuck roast and a clean ingredients list. I hope you enjoy it. This would be a great holiday meal or anytime meal, winter is here!
- 1 PRE Chuck Roast: patted dry, cut into six chunks, salted
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 6 strips sugar-free bacon, chopped
- 3 yellow onions, chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1/3 cup cassava flour (or AP flour)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped fine
- 4 large sweet potatoes, cut into 2-inch chunks ( use russet if you do not mind potatoes)
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté.
- Heat coconut oil in bottom.
- Cook bacon slices in oil until crisp. Set aside.
- In same oil, brown chuck roast pieces until deep color appears on each side. Set aside.
- In the same fat, sauté onions and garlic until caramelized.
- Add paprika, caraway seeds, and flour to make a paste, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in vinegar and tomato paste for about 1 minute. It should be thick.
- Stir in broth, salt, bell peppers, bacon, red pepper, potatoes, and chuck roast.
- Cover with lid, set the valve to ‘Sealing’, set Instant Pot to manual for 45 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, release pressure manually by turning the valve to ‘Venting.’ (Be careful of hot steam!)
- Taste and adjust with salt. Serve warm with paleo bread, and freshly cracked black pepper.
If you don’t have an instant pot, make this recipe in a slow cooker. Set it to “low heat” for 8-10 hours.