The flavors this roast recipe yields are unbelievable. This literally took me about 10 minutes to prepare to get in the crock pot. Please always read any recipe you intend to make and ensure you have what you need on hand before getting ready to prepare a dish. It is a terrific meal idea for a small gathering of friends and they will think you are a kitchen genius.
- 2 lb. grass-fed rump roast
- 2 tablespoons ghee (or coconut oil)
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons chopped up sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/3 cup Sweet Marsala wine
- 4 large organic heirloom carrots, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 4 green onions, sliced into 3–4 inch strips
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Salt to taste
- OPTIONAL: 8 Jerusalem artichokes cut in half
- Puncture holes all over both sides of the roast with a knife.
- Heat your ghee or coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place roast in skillet and turn the heat down to medium.
- Slightly brown the one side.
- Turnover and now brown the other side.
- Add the tomatoes and stir around in the juices.
- Add the garlic powder.
- Turn heat down to low and baste the oils on the top of the roast.
- Add the roast and tomatoes to the crock pot, reserving the liquid in the skillet.
- Place the carrots, onions and artichokes in the crock pot.
- Add the Marsala to the skillet and increase the heat a bit to simmer and stir.
- Scrape to get all the bits incorporated.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour all this over the roast.
- Grind some fresh black pepper on top. You may add salt now or wait until the cooking is done.
- Cover tightly.
- Set your temperature at low for 8 hours.
- Turn off or if your crock has a “warm” feature you may leave it at this until you are ready to serve.
- Slice very thin and serve as is or serve with a salad or starch type side such as cauliflower rice.