A creative alternative to mashed potatoes! This mashed turnips recipe is a great alternative or switch- up from regular mashed potatoes. Get creative with them too and add whatever other spices you like. For example, garlic or truffle oil. Yum! Try serving them to your guests and see if they even notice the difference. They may not believe you when you tell them they just ate a mound of turnips.
- 7 medium turnips (3 pounds total), washed, peeled and quartered
- ½ cup unflavored, unsweetened milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons butter, ghee or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon parsley, freshly minced
- Steam your turnips in a large saucepan until tender (20-25 minutes).
- Place in a mixing bowl.
- Mash with a hand masher.
- Set aside.
- Combine milk, butter and salt in small saucepan over high heat until liquid is reduced by half (about 5 minutes).
- Pour liquid into mixing bowl with turnips and whip with electric mixer on lowest setting until smooth but not puréed.
- Season with pepper.
- Garnish with parsley.