This was an idea from my daughter, Miranda Jade of www.GlutenFreeHelp.info presented to me mid my prep of my brisket for the boiling step with the brine. I was about to make my standard Paleo recipe of beef brisket on the stove top boiled in brine. She said she had loved the version when it is baked, so I decided to give it a try.
- 3–4 pounds corned beef brisket with fat
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika (smoked Hungarian)
- 3 tablespoons whole black and/or white peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons scallion salt (may be hard to get so use onion powder instead)
- Preheat oven to 275F.
- Line your Pyrex glass dish with heavy duty aluminum foil in one direction.
- Be sure it is large enough that your meat has room to breathe.
- Lay another piece of aluminum foil the other direction.
- Set your meat, skin side DOWN on the foil.
- Take all your spices and other ingredients from above and mix them well.
- Rub the spice mixture well into the top of the exposed meat.
- Loosely wrap your tin foil around the meat, allowing air to escape, but wrapped well enough to catch all the juice.
- Bake for 2 hours.
- Pull out of the oven.
- Open foil and gently turn over the meat to expose the fat on top.
- There will be a lot of juice.
- Spoon some juice on top. Allow it to flow down.
- Close the foil tightly keeping all the juice in the “pouch”.
- Make sure that the foil is tight all over but allowing space and an air pocket.
- Place back in oven.
- Cook for another 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Basically your gauge is about 1.5 hours per pound of meat, BUT PLEASE use an instant thermometer until the internal temperature reaches 175F.
- Take out of the oven and open foil.
- Let the meat sit in the juice for at least 10 minutes.
- Be sure and slice against the grain.
- Serve on a platter with juices poured all over the meat.
- Cover with foil if not serving right away.
I purchased a package of hormone-free corned beef brisket from Whole Foods and used their spices as well as my mix above.