This paleo recipe is a killer. Many have asked me if it is dairy free. Yes indeed. Not only that but it literally takes about 10 minutes to make.
- 4 very large handfuls of fresh organic asparagus or 3–4 bundles
- Tablespoons of filtered water or veggie water ( see below)
- Sea salt to taste
- OPTIONAL: truffle oil, truffle salt, scallion salt, Herbamare – you name it!
- Cut off only the “whitish” ends of your asparagus.
- Bring to boil enough water to cover your asparagus laying flat.
- You may cook as many as you can hold at one time.
- They can pile on one another.
- Do not place in water until boiling.
- Prepare a bowl with cold water and plenty of ice.
- You will be blanching the asparagus now (cooking in hot water for a short time and then dunking in ice cold water to halt the cooking).
- Place asparagus in boiling water and allow to boil for 60-90 seconds.
- Immediately lift with tongs and place in ice water. Let cool.
- Do this with all the asparagus.
- Cut asparagus in half.
- Place in Vitamix.
- Blend to desired consistency.
- Add only a tad of filtered water as needed or add some of the veggie water from your “boiling bath”
- Puree until smooth.
- Flavor as desired but see my below notes first.
I suggest NOT adding any salt or other flavorings until after you get your first taste of this soup, if you used farm fresh organic asparagus. After that, season away to your heart’s desire.
We only use sea salt to taste and sometimes add some truffle salt, or even a touch of truffle oil to the top. I make extra ahead and store in the refrigerator.