Please enjoy this very simple and quick way to make a kefir using almonds and only a few other ingredients, which by the way are all optional as far as flavor goes.
- 4 cups almonds
- Honey, to taste
- Ground vanilla, to taste
- Kefir starter grains
- Cover the almonds with filtered water for 8-12 hours or overnight.
- Place almonds in a blender with fresh, warm filtered water and blend on high until very milky. I use a Vitamix so this warms the water a tad more.
- Add warm filtered water as needed.
- Let sit a moment to settle.
- Place warm MILK (only) quickly back in blender.
- Add a bit of honey and ground or pure vanilla.
- Blend on high.
- Add the starter Kefir packet into the warm liquid. (I use Body Ecology Kefir Starter)
- Pour the mixture into a jar and place on shelf for 1-2 days, and you’ve got kefir.
- Transfer to the fridge.
The more Kefir Starter you use the more pungent the flavor.
This particular recipe will not be as thick as a whole milk kefir but will have the culture benefits.
Many prefer to leave some of the nuts in the milk. I do not. I get enough nuts in my diet as it is with all my paleo baking.