This is a great weekend stew. You can make up a big batch and have leftovers throughout the week!
- 1 ½ pounds round steak or stew meat
- 5 medium turnips
- 5 medium carrots
- 1–2 white onions or 15 Cipollini onions (I used Cipollini)
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz. tomato soup
- ½ cup burgundy wine
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- OPTIONAL: 1 rutabaga, 1 parsnip, 1 sweet potato or mushrooms
- OPTIONAL: 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- Preheat oven to 250F degrees.
- Cut up all the meat and veggies into approx 1 inch pieces.
- Put everything in a dutch oven or other oven proof casserole and cook for 5 hours.
- OR place in a crockpot and cook on Low for 8 hours.
- You don’t ever have to check on it!
- Lift the lid and serve. How easy is that!
Adding a small turnip, rutabaga, parsnip, sweet potato or some mushrooms adds more flavor.
Tapioca flour can be used as a thickener if you desire.