Delectable grilled zucchini adds a touch of flavor that makes this appetizer or side dish the perfect hummus. You will never know there are no beans in this recipe.
- • 2 medium zucchini (about 1 pound)
- • 2 oz roasted tahini (sesame seed butter) or 1/4 cup
- • 4 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- • 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- • ½ teaspoon sea salt (Fleur de Sel)
- • ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- OPTIONAL: Extra virgin olive oil to thin down
- • 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat your grill to medium high.
- When hot, brush it lightly with coconut oil.
- Trim the ends from the zucchini then slice them in half lengthwise. If you want your hummus to be more flavorful, feel free to scrape out the seeds with a tea spoon. If there are not too many seeds, leave them in.
- Place the zucchini slices on your grill, skin side down, and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook for 5 minutes, flip around and cook another 5 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool.
- When the zucchini are cool, place into a food processor fitted with its metal blade.
- Add the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, herbs and spices.
- Process for 1 minute, or until very smooth.
- If it’s too thick, thin down with extra virgin olive oil (optional).
- I like to eat this hummus at room temperature but it can be refrigerated. It will thicken slightly as it chills.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley for decoration and additional chlorophyll.