This paleo recipe is fun and easy. I use an Excalibur Dehydrator, but you can make these in an oven set to the lowest temperature setting – yes, down near 200 degrees or less please (my dehydrator is a 9 tray with a timer).
- 1 cup walnuts, soaked and well drained
- 1 cup soft medjool dates, pitted and chopped slightly
- ½ cup measured 100% chocolate (melted in a microwave or in a double boiler. I’ve used cacao powder in the past yet I did not use it in this recipe. I used 100% pure Guittard or Valrhona chocolate. It is some of the finest you can get)
- 40 drops peppermint spirits or to taste (I used the brand from Herb Pharm)
- In a Vitamix, Bullet or powerful blender add the nuts and pulse until fine.
- Add the dates and melted chocolate slowly and keep smashing and blending with a spatula until mixed well.
- Add the peppermint spirits. (Now remember when you dehydrate these the essence will reduce a bit and not be near as strong just going through the dehydrating process.)
- You can (or not) very lightly grease your plastic dehydrator sheets with coconut oil.
- Spread the mixture on two sheets about 10 x 12 or smaller. If using an oven, place on a greased clean cookie sheet or wax paper.
- Thickness is up to you, but in the end I made these into square shapes, about ⅛ inch thick.
- Dehydrate at 105F° for approximately 8-10 hours (or at the lowest temperature your oven will allow) and then gently flip and place on same plastic sheet or remove and place on the grated sheets that come with the dehydrator allowing more air flow.
- Dehydrate another 6 or so hours until they firm up.
- Cut into desired shapes and serve.
- You can leave out or refrigerate.
- OPTIONAL: Add a dollop of coconut whipped “Kreem” or whipping topping of choice to your patties for a little extra touch.