I love soft serve ice cream and at the same time I really enjoy trying to work with a super fruit like Dragonfruit and using low glycemic sweeteners. I have been working with two food-related companies and one of my friends came up with a terrific idea that features their goods!
- 2 Pitaya Plus smoothie packs (200 grams; equal to about 1 large raw dragon fruit)
- 1 16 ounce can coconut cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup Zen Sweet (monk fruit sweetener) or 1 very ripe banana
- Blend all ingredients except the fruit until smooth and pour into a saucepan on the stovetop.
- Heat on medium, stirring occasionally, until it starts to bubble at the edges. (About 5 minutes. Don’t let it boil!)
- Let cool a few minutes. Pour back into the blender and add the dragon fruit.
- If you have an ice cream maker, let it take over the rest of the job and follow instructions for your machine. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into an airtight container and put it in the freezer. I use a glass brownie tray with a silicon lid because the shallower the container, the quicker the freeze.
- After two or three hours pull it out and give it a good stir or vigorous shake. This breaks up and disperses the ice crystals throughout, giving it a smoother, more uniform texture. After about six hours it should be ready to scoop and will be smooth like gelato.
You can make this into a raw and vegan smoothie without the eggs and freeze remaining blended ingredients in snack-sized Ziploc baggies for delicious smoothies on the go.