Sometimes all a person needs is a slice of cake to combat those sugary cravings. This, however, can be hard if you cannot digest gluten. This recipe gives a very light-textured cake that is fragrant and moist. Adding some fruit on top will give it freshness and color that will surprise your guests. Enjoy, and let me know your thoughts on this recipe!
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons sesame flour
- 3 tablespoons set honey
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- A sprinkle of cinnamon
- Juice of one lemon
- Some nice alcohol – vermouth, favorite liquor, etc.
- 2 egg whites
- 6 ¾ ounces creme fraiche or sour cream 1 tablespoon clear honey
- Fruit for decorating
- Grated lemon zest from 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Grease a small round baking tray, for example a pie dish, it will be much easier if it is silicone.
- Use a hand mixer and combine the eggs and honey till the honey dissolves.
- Add the rest of the ingredients for the base.
- Pour the mixture in the baking tray and put it in the oven for up to 30 mins. It could be less than that, so check with a tooth pick and if it comes out clear take it out. Don’t worry if the colour of the cake base turns out quite dark, that’s fine.
- While the base is cooking prepare your topping.
- In a glass bowl whip the egg whites and honey till they become very stiff. Use a hand mixer.
- In a smaller bowl whip the creme fraiche a bit, do not do it for too long, as it can curdle.
- Spoon by spoon mix the creme fraiche with the egg whites. Do not over mix but still mix them enough to combine. Mix them by gently and slowly folding them into one another.
- Leave the egg white mixture in the fridge.
- Take the cake out and leave to cool. Take it out of the baking tray by first running a knife around the edges of the tray then putting a dish on top of the tray and turning it around. If the tray is silicone it will be very easy to take out.
- Spread on the cake the alcohol of your choice – around 8-10 tablespoons.
- After the cake has cooled down, take the egg white mixture from the fridge and by spoon spread it on top of the cake and around the sides of the cake.
- Decorate with fruit and sprinkle cinnamon and grated lemon zest.
- Enjoy with a strong cup of coffee!