This delicious and healthy apple tarts recipe is a great dessert to serve up to family and friends. It features a low-glycemic sweetener made from 100% organic apples! No sugar rush from this dessert. Be sure to serve it à la mode with my paleo vanilla bean ice cream.
- NUTTY CRUST
- 1 ½ cups of nuts and seeds of your choice, coarsely chopped (but not powdery) – you can use one type of nut/seed or ½ and ½, etc.
- 2/3 cup pitted, packed medjool dates
- OPTIONAL: pinch of powdered vanilla
- 4 sweet apples such as Honey Crisp or Fuji apples, cored, peeled and thinly sliced in a food processor
- 3 tablespoons Dolcedi sweetener
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla paste or 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 8–10 oz. 70-80% dark chocolate chips or pieces chopped up into pieces (approx.. ¼ inch pieces) – I prefer Lily’s stevia-sweetened baking chips.
- OPTIONAL: Moist dried Bing cherries or fruit of choice
- NUTTY CRUST
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Grind your crust ingredients together in a food processor.
- Add drops of water if the mixture is too crumbly.
- Press mixture into your tart pan(s) or pie dish to form a nice 1/8 – ¼ inch thick crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- FILLING AND ASSEMBLY
- Gently stir your apples, Dolcedi, cinnamon, vanilla and salt together.
- Transfer the mixture to your cooled pie crust or mini tart crusts.
- Cover lightly with foil and place on the middle rack of your oven.
- Bake mini or full-size tarts/pie for 14-20 minutes or until mixture is slightly bubbling.
- Remove foil and bake until hot, approximately 6-8 more minutes.
- Top with dark chocolate chunks, chocolate chips and/or dried yet moist fruit of choice.
- Bake for another 4- 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with my Paleo Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.