Believe it or not, you can make this popular ingredient at home, too—and, boy, is it worth it! Simple, rewarding and perfect for all paleo baking recipes.
- 6 Madagascar vanilla beans
- 6 Mexican vanilla beans
- 1 (1.75-liter) bottle of vodka
- Split and scrape vanilla beans.
- Place scraped beans and seeds in vodka bottle.
- Screw cap on tightly, and shake bottle vigorously.
- Place bottle in a cool, dark place.
- Shake bottle vigorously once a week for at least 3 months.
- Store for up to 1 year (the vanilla will darken as it ages).
This makes a wonderful gift, too! Using a funnel, pour the vanilla extract, straining if desired, into decorative glass jars to give to someone special.