Short ribs are a family favorite and I am often asked to make any one of my paleo friendly short rib recipes like this one. I of course love to as they are some of the most easiest recipes to make as I usually make them in the crock pot. With a crock pot around I can really make just about anything, walk away and come back later to a killer primal meal and so can you.
- 8 grass-fed beef short ribs (approximately 2+ pounds (I used 5280 beef”>5280beef )
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- ½ – 1 cup Marsala
- ¾ cup fresh tomato sauce (from gently pureed very ripe tomatoes)
- 2 cut up “hunks” of fresh tomatoes
- 3 cloves freshly chopped garlic
- 6 chopped rainbow chard leaves or 2 cups spinach
- 2 chopped celery stalks (leave in large hunks)
- OPTIONAL: Carrots (leave in large hunks)
- OPTIONAL: Mushrooms
- OPTIONAL: ½ cup water
- Remove short ribs from the package.
- Cut rack into 8 big, beautiful, even pieces.
- Season the ribs liberally with freshly cracked pepper and a few pinches of salt.
- Preheat your skillet and coconut oil or ghee.
- Sautee the ribs until browned on all sides.
- Remove and place ribs in crock pot.
- Add Marsala to the pan and deglaze.
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce to pan.
- Stir to incorporate.
- Pour everything from pan over the ribs.
- Add remaining ingredients to crock pot.
- Move around everything in the crock pot so that some vegetables are on top and some are on the bottom.
- Cook on high for 6 hours or on low for 7-8 hours. Do not lift the lid except maybe once to turn the ribs over.
OPTIONAL: Let sit for another 1 hour covered.
Delicious with a hunk of Paleo-friendly bread to soak up the sauce. – The sauce is killer for a soup too!