Short ribs are a family favorite and I am often asked to make any one of my Paleo friendly short rib recipes, like these Momma’s Beef Short Ribs or my Paleo Beef Ribs. I of course love to as they are some of the easiest recipes to make, as I usually make them in the crock pot. With a crock pot around I can really make just about anything, walk away and come back later to a killer primal meal and so can you. Another favorite is my Paleo Easiest Ever Stew. Yum!
As you will see in the below recipe I am pretty step by step, but once you season and brown the meat you can really add things to the crook pot in any order you prefer.
Do not get hung up or worried ever when using a crock pot. It really is almost a foolproof tool in any person’s kitchen. If you do not have one, get yourself one!
I list a variety of vegetables below but you can substitute some if you are short on any. Again, keep it simple.
My favorite part about a crock pot is tossing it all in and closing the lid until the later Finale!
I used 5280beef which is grass fed and grass finished. I also used their Rib Eye in another terrific and very simple recipe: Royal Rib Eye Steak Dinner. If you are new to grass-fed or grass-finished, please be sure and read my 4 part interview with the owner of 5280meat, informing us about plenty of interesting things we never knew about pork and beef. Enjoy!Print
Short ribs are a family favorite and I am often asked to make any one of my paleo friendly short rib recipes like this one. I of course love to as they are some of the most easiest recipes to make as I usually make them in the crock pot. With a crock pot around I can really make just about anything, walk away and come back later to a killer primal meal and so can you.
- 8 grass-fed beef short ribs (approximately 2+ pounds (I used 5280 beef”>5280beef )
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- ½ – 1 cup Marsala
- ¾ cup fresh tomato sauce (from gently pureed very ripe tomatoes)
- 2 cut up “hunks” of fresh tomatoes
- 3 cloves freshly chopped garlic
- 6 chopped rainbow chard leaves or 2 cups spinach
- 2 chopped celery stalks (leave in large hunks)
- OPTIONAL: Carrots (leave in large hunks)
- OPTIONAL: Mushrooms
- OPTIONAL: ½ cup water
- Remove short ribs from the package.
- Cut rack into 8 big, beautiful, even pieces.
- Season the ribs liberally with freshly cracked pepper and a few pinches of salt.
- Preheat your skillet and coconut oil or ghee.
- Sautee the ribs until browned on all sides.
- Remove and place ribs in crock pot.
- Add Marsala to the pan and deglaze.
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce to pan.
- Stir to incorporate.
- Pour everything from pan over the ribs.
- Add remaining ingredients to crock pot.
- Move around everything in the crock pot so that some vegetables are on top and some are on the bottom.
- Cook on high for 6 hours or on low for 7-8 hours. Do not lift the lid except maybe once to turn the ribs over.
OPTIONAL: Let sit for another 1 hour covered.
Delicious with a hunk of Paleo-friendly bread to soak up the sauce. – The sauce is killer for a soup too!
If you have any questions or suggestions just email me at Tina (at) Paleomazing.com.