This is one of my most favorite paleo, gluten-free and dairy-free simple recipes.
- 2 cans of full fat coconut milk
- 3 capsules kefir starter or probiotics of your own (I use Harry’s Custom 11-Strain Probiotics)
- 2–4 teaspoons organic honey to taste, or stevia if you prefer
- OPTIONAL: fruit
- Use any size of clean mason jars; you may even use glass tupperware (never use plastic!). Plastic is not good for us; read up on xenoestrogens.
- Refrigerate your coconut milk overnight.
- Mix all ingredients together in a blender.
- Pour into your jars right away.
- Leave the lids off, and cover the jars with plastic wrap poked with holes to protect from any dust.
- Keep in a warm space for about 3 days or in your dark toaster oven, microwave (not used) or oven.
- Make sure the space is warm and not near any cool windows, open doors etc. I place mine in my dehydrator uncovered at 95-100F for 48 hours. You need that bacteria to grow and make your coconut milk into a healthy and tasteful probiotic drink.
- Give it time and it will do great.
- You can taste it and test the texture after about 2 days if you are using an oven to determine if it needs another day or not.
- Place a lid on your kefir, and place in your refrigerator.
- Let the kefir chill a good few hours.
- You can add fruit or mix the fruit with the kefir in a blender but it will thin out a bit again.