An amazing high protein dessert with no sugar! Enjoy and have fun with this recipe.
- 4 egg whites (room temperature is a must)
- *4 tablespoons powdered erythritol or try your own stevia (be careful not to add too much!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar or use an equal amount of white vinegar or lemon juice, or omit this ingredient step entirely
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- *Sweetener substitute: you may use maple sugar or date sugar, yet it will color slightly
- Preheat oven to 250°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place oven rack on the lowest or second to lowest position.
- Use a very clean glass or metal bowl to mix your egg whites, erythritol, vanilla, cream of tartar and salt.
- Beat on medium high. Be patient.
- Continue beating on medium and you will soon achieve semi-stiff peaks with a slight glossy look. If you overbeat it will get too hard!
- Use a pastry bag and tip of choice and make your meringues any size your heart desires. Around 1-2” in height max.
- Bake on your prepared sheets for 18 minutes and then reduce your oven temperature to 200°F and continue to bake for about 18 to 20 more minutes, until crisp and the tips are just starting to brown.
- Turn off the oven.
- Allow meringues to remain in the oven for 2 hours.
- Then remove from oven and serve or store in airtight container.
This recipe is really also your play time. You may use a piping bag with a star tip, or any large tip and make your own designs, dollop on top of ice cream, or place on your sheets (as above) to bake or even torch. Totally fun and really eye candy in the end.
The only rules are room temperature eggs, and a clean, clean, clean bowl and do not overbeat.