These meatballs make for a terrific appetizer and really are terribly easy to make. So often meatballs served as appetizers are prepared in such overbearingly sweet sauces that I am frankly unable to enjoy them. That is not the case with these honey chipotle meatballs. The balance of sweet and the spice of the chipotle is perfect. You can also adjust the amount of chipotle powder and dry mustard in the sauce to suit your taste: use less if you are sensitive to heat, or add more if you like things a little spicier!
Be sure to email me and share photos of your delicious dishes that you create with this recipe. I do enjoy seeing them.
Honey Chipotle Meatballs
- For the meatballs
- ¾ pound ground beef
- ¾ pound ground pork
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ghee, lard or tallow
- For the sauce
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder or chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dry yellow mustard
- 3 green onions, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Make the meatballs:
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix the ground beef and pork, onion, garlic, egg, salt, and pepper with your hands until just combined.
- Form the mixture into meatballs 1½ inches in diameter.
- Melt the ghee in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the meatballs and cook for 5 minutes, turning frequently, until browned on all sides.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Make the sauce:
- Place all of the sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and whisk to combine.
- Bring just to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, until the sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and add additional chipotle powder or dry mustard if desired.
- Once the meatballs are done cooking, use a slotted spoon to transfer them to the pan with the sauce and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with chopped green onion, if desired, and serve.