I’m usually not a fan of chicken, but this honey lemon chicken from Elana Amsterdam is flavorful and moist, simply all around delicious and paleo of course! Do yourself a favor and pair this easy to make recipe up with another one of Elana’s contributions, these delicious sesame noodles. A perfect gluten free and paleo meal!
This recipe comes from Elana’s wonderful cookbook, Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry. More of her paleo recipes can be found here and in her cookbook sold through all major book outlets
Enjoy and let me know what you think!
Honey Lemon Chicken
- 1 whole chicken, 2 to 3 pounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 3 lemons
- 2 medium onions
- 1 head garlic
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Place the chicken, breast side down, in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Drizzle the chicken with the olive oil and honey, sprinkle with the salt, and stuff with 1 of the whole lemons.
- Cut the remaining 2 lemons in half and place in the corners of the baking dish.
- Cut the onions in half (leaving the skin on) and place alongside the lemon halves.
- Break the head of garlic apart (leaving the skin on) and scatter the cloves around the baking dish.
- Bake the chicken for 50 to 60 minutes, until the skin is well browned.
- Increase the heat to 450°F, turn the chicken breast side up, and bake for about 15 more minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thigh reads 170°F to 180°F.
- Remove the chicken from the oven. Carve the chicken, drizzle with the pan juices, and serve.
Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry , by Elana Amsterdam and published by 10 Speed Press, Berkley will be available wherever books are sold on June 18, 2013. Please check this out on Amazon now.
“Reprinted with permission from Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry: Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes by Elana Amsterdam (Ten Speed Press, 2013). Photo Credit: Leigh Beisch.”