Before I jump right into the ingredients for this paleo recipe, let me just say that it’s been my pleasure to be in touch with each and every one of you who have connected up with me this year. The holidays have been a busy season for us all. Celebrate the end of the year and the beginning of a whole new one by sharing this tasty Paleo, Gluten-Free and Raw Apple Pie with your loved ones!
Paleo Apple Pie, Gluten-Free-Raw WONDERFUL
- CRUMBLE INGREDIENTS
- 1 ½ cups pecans (pieces or whole)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 ½ tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 ½ tablespoons carob powder
- ½ tablespoon date sugar
- APPLE PIE SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- ½ teaspoon clove, ground
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup cashews, soaked 3 hrs
- 1 teaspoon orange peel, fresh or dried (You can find it dried in spice sections of most gourmet markets.)
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ cup currants (or raisins)
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon date paste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- COCONUT WHIPPED “CREAM” INGREDIENTS (Prepare third)
- 3 medium young Thai coconuts, meat only (3/4 to 1 cup meat total)
- ½ cup coconut oil, firm (best to use Raw Skinny Coconut oil!)
- ⅛ cup honey or to taste
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- APPLE FILLING INGREDIENTS (Prepare last)
- 4 medium apples, cored and cut into large pieces (optional: soaked in Kahlua or rum)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (brings out the sweetness)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Grind first set of ingredients in a food processor until finely textured, but don’t over grind or else they’ll release too much moisture (about 15-20 seconds of grinding depending on equipment).
- On a Teflex dehydrator sheet, lay out the mixture so that it is as thin and evenly spaced as possible.
- Dehydrate for 4-5 hours, and reserve extra for later use on topping.
- APPLE PIE SAUCE INSTRUCTIONS
- Using a very high-powered blender, blend all of the apple pie sauce ingredients until very smooth.
- Keep the mixture reserved in the blender for later use.
- COCONUT WHIPPED "CREAM" INSTRUCTIONS
- Blend all the ingredients in a high-powered blender until very smooth.
- Place into a storage container and refrigerate for later use. (Stays good for up to 3 weeks.)
- APPLE FILLING INSTRUCTIONS (Prepare last)
- Just before serving, pulse the ingredients listed above a few times in your food processor just to roughly chop the apple pieces into a chunky consistency.
- APPLE PIE ASSEMBLY
- Re-blend the apple pie sauce on a continuous run for 1-1 ½ minutes to warm the mixture.
- While blending, in a serving casserole dish (1-cup size) or large ramekin, place the pulsed apple filling leaving about an inch from the top for the crumble.
- Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the crumble over the apple.
- Add a dollop of the Coconut Whipped “Cream” over the crumble and add a dash of nutmeg or add some dairy-free ice cream and some homemade chocolate syrup (no sugar), as I did in the above recipe.
From my kitchen to yours,