Before I jump right into the ingredients and recipe, let me just say that it’s been my pleasure to be in touch with each and every one of you who have connected up with me this year. The holidays have been a busy season for us all. Celebrate the end of the year and the beginning of a whole new one by sharing this tasty Paleo Apple Pie with your loved ones!
Paleo Apple Pie, Gluten-Free-Raw WONDERFUL
- 1 ½ c pecans (pieces or whole)
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 ½ tbsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ tbsp carob powder
- ½ tbsp date sugar
- Apple Piece Sauce Ingredients
- ½ tsp clove, ground
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ c cashews, soaked 3 hrs
- 1 tsp orange peel, fresh or dried (You can find it dried in spice sections of most gourmet markets.)
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ¼ c currants (or raisins)
- ¾ c water
- 1tbsp date paste
- ½ tsp salt
- Coconut Whipped “Cream” Ingredients (Prepare third.)
- 3 medium young Thai coconuts, meat only (3/4 to 1 c meat total)
- ½ c coconut oil, firm
- ⅛ c honey or to taste
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- Apple Filling Ingredients (Prepare last.)
- 4 medium apples, cored and cut into large pieces (optional: soaked in Kahlua or rum)
- ½ tsp sea salt (brings out the sweetness)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Grind ingredients in a food processor until finely textured, but don’t over grind or else they’ll release too much moisture (about 15-2o seconds grinding depending on equipment).
- On a Teflex dehydrator sheet, lay out the mixture so that it is as thin and evenly spaced as possible.
- Dehydrate for 4-5 hours. and reserve extra for later use on topping.
- Apple Piece Sauce Instructions
- Using a very high-powered blender, blend all of the above until very smooth.
- Keep the mixture reserved in the blender for later use.
- Coconut Whipped “Cream” Instructions
- Blend all the ingredients in a high-powered blender until very smooth.
- Place into a storage container and refrigerate for later use. (Stays good for up to 3 weeks.)
- Apple Filling Instructions (Prepare last.)
- Just before serving, pulse the ingredients listed above a few times in your food processor just to roughly chop the apple pieces to a chunky consistency.
- Apple Pie Assembly
- Re-blend the apple pie sauce on a continuous run for 1-1 ½ min. to warm the mixture.
- While blending, in a serving casserole dish (1-c size) or large ramekin, place the pulsed apple filling leaving about an inch from the top for the crumble.
- Spoon 2-3 tbsp of the crumble over the apple.
- Add a dollop of the Coconut Whipped “Cream” over the crumble and add a dash of nutmeg or add some dairy free ice-cream and some home made chocolate syrup ( no sugar), as I did in the above recipe.
From my kitchen to yours,