The New Year is upon us and many have made some terrific resolutions as is to be expected. I am now planning to always have some treats ready for grab-and-go for my hikes and my more intense workouts which I like to at times follow up with some short 20 minute aerobic activity. I also like to grab a bite now and then when heading out and when I know I will be stuck in traffic for endless time. These Paleo Snack Bites have a great flavor and texture and balance of carbs and protein and are the perfect on-the-go gluten free and paleo snack.
I am all about balance and these really can give an active person a bit of punch, helping replenish the glycogen storage. Some nights or even the day before I may have a few more carbs in anticipation for the major weights I intend to play around with the next day. I find that when I do an occasional higher carb the day before I get more bang for my buck with the weights. You can read more about this and give it a try for yourself.
Birch Benders has shared these little treats with me and I am dying to share them with you. I have used Birch Benders Paleo Pancake and Waffle mix quite a bit and in fact I flew 2 bags to Kauai with me and then I was so happy to see more in the grocery store there. They are really everywhere these days. I am so happy they have done well as the mixes are terrific. My family of celiacs also use their gluten free mix. I do best off grains so tend to adhere to their Paleo mix. In fact, you have to try their recipe for paleo pizza. It’s to die for! Enjoy!
Paleo Snack Bites
- 1 cup Birch Benders Paleo Pancake Mix
- 2 tablespoons Molasses
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons plus ½ cup dry shredded coconut, separated
- 1 inch of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Whisk together the egg, molasses, ginger and 2 tablespoons coconut.
- Whisk in melted coconut oil, making sure it is not too hot. Hot coconut oil will cook the egg.
- Fold in paleo pancake mix.
- Form into 1-2 tablespoon sized balls, rolling between your palms.
- Place remaining ½ cup coconut in a shallow dish.
- Roll each dough ball in coconut.
- Place on baking sheet, evenly spaced apart.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until golden brown.