Here is a hearty and healthy dish which results in the best darn leftovers. My kind of meal this lovely day or evening, wherever you may be sitting reading my website from. In fact, drop me a note and tell me where you are from. I love to stay in touch and I really love all your emails too. Thanks! Oh before I forget, you’ll want to serve this paleo chuck roast with a side of my homemade Cole Slaw or go a whole other angle and try it with my Kale Chipotle Appetizer.
If you can use grass-fed beef that’s all the better, BUT to be honest I have to fill you in on my little secret. Please do not hate me for this.. 🙂 I DO NOT like the taste of grass-fed beef. OK, I said it! I like the fat in grain-fed beef… 🙁 and maybe it is the high Omega 6 ratio that I like? I have no clue but I cannot get used to the bland grass-fed beef flavor. I have tried and tried over and over plus I tried a number of brands. So now I purchase grass-fed but the kind where they feed the cows grains the last 3 days of their life. This does taste better to me. I am still looking into this topic and I am sourcing more options as I really want to like grass-fed, yet for the price I better love it. I do like grass-fed buffalo from Buffalo Guys… OMG! Now that is amazing.
So, whether you buy grass-fed or not, do enjoy this amazing, killer primal recipe. We did! While you are at it, please tell me your opinions on grass-fed and any ideas or suggestions as well as your favorite brand/company.Print
Browning the roast beforehand really makes all the difference in this recipe. Simple and delicious!
- 4 pounds chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup water
- 2 onions, sliced
- 8 fresh farmers market baby carrots (leave a little of the stem on)
- OPTIONAL: 12-16 oz. fresh pearl onions (Frozen will not taste as fresh. Find instructions on the web for removing skins).
- OPTIONAL: kelp noodles
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Add oil to a heavy pan with lid or dutch oven.
- Brown the chuck roast on both sides.
- Add the salt, pepper, garlic, bay leaf, sliced onions and water.
- Cover and place in oven for 1 hour per pound.
- Add carrots and pearl onions and kelp noodles 2 hours before the chuck roast is done.
If you are doing this in a crock pot, put all ingredients in at once.