Satisfy your junk food cravings with a delicious and nutritious alternative to junk food: paleo sweet potato chips. A warning: if you plan on inviting company over or if you have the kids over, you’ll want to make extra. These go FAST!
- 2 (8 oz.) garnet yams or sweet potatoes, halved lengthwise, cut into ¾ inch wide wedges
- 2 tablespoons ghee or unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil for brushing
- Place yam wedges skin side down on a large microwave-safe plate.
- Cover with vented plastic wrap.
- Microwave on high for 3 ½ – 4 minutes, or until almost tender.
- Let cool.
- Mix the melted ghee, garam masala, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Heat an outdoor gas grill, or prepare coals for a charcoal grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat.
- Add yam wedges.
- Brush with a little of the butter mixture while grilling, reserving most for when it is finished.
- Grill yams, keeping the grill lid closed as much as possible, until lightly charred, 6 to 8 minutes, turning as they brown.
- Serve with the delicious butter mixture poured on top or with any condiment of choice!
- Additional salt and pepper is up to you.
I should mention that you need to slice these very thick. If you have a mandolin or food processor with a slicing blade, your life will be a lot easier. Sweet potatoes are tougher and denser than a regular potato. Of course, a good sharp knife, a steady hand, and lots of patience will do as well. I have made plenty of these that way myself!
If you have any questions or suggestions just email me at Tina (at) Paleomazing.com.