During my last European travels, while touring Italy, I had the pleasure of tasting the most divine (tangiest, garlickiest, nuttiest, yummiest) pesto around, inspiring my delicious paleo dairy free pesto recipe!
Pesto comes from a little region in Italy known as Liguria, which borders France. Legend has it that the word “pesto” comes from the way it was originally prepared, by mortar and pestle (mortaio e pestello). I don’t know about you, but I just love to learn little tidbits about the health benefits and origins of my favorite foods! You’re certainly welcome to make this recipe with the traditional mortar and pestle, but a blender or food processor will do too! 😉
Paleo Dairy Free Pesto
- Handful of pine nuts
- 3 cloves of garlic, depending on taste
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 handfuls of fresh basil, chopped
- Olive oil
- Drop or two of lemon juice to taste
- Brown half of the pine nuts in a dry pan.
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend together.
- If you prefer a more rustic pesto, grind the garlic with the basil leaves and salt in a mortar and pestle, remove, and then mash in the pine nuts.
- Mix with olive oil.
- Adjust the flavor of your dairy-free pesto by adding a drop or two at a time of lemon juice.