When it comes to holiday entertaining, you want fresh dishes that are going to make everybody happy. With the day being so busy I feel you will enjoy the ease in this Paleo Sweet Pistachio Bacon recipe as much as I did. What I consider are paleo friendly dishes for holidays or any time of year are ones which have minimal ingredients and quick prep work. Yes, meaning fast and easy. You also want these dishes to satisfy all taste buds and you or your family’s dietary restrictions. This paleo recipe fits the bill for all of your Paleo, gluten free, keto and low carb needs, wishes and wildest dreams! Plus it’s bacon! Need I say more?
This recipe which was supplied to me to try out is from Katie Doyle, founder of PersonallyPaleo.com. Katie’s candied bacon helps to keep one’s sweet tooth happy yet is free of any refined sugar. By choosing nitrate free bacon, you’re keeping out those unhealthy preservatives, not to mention achieving a cleaner and more optimum flavor. The pistachios add a salty edge which in essence wraps up the entire recipe to a perfected T.
If you’re making a large family style breakfast, by all means consider using this paleo recipe as the perfect side. It goes great with her Paleo Hashbrown Casserole. Bacon lovers can also use it as an appetizer alongside her Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts. Katie said if you simply want a sweet treat, it works great for that as a stand-alone too!
Whatever way you serve up this candied bacon during the holidays, your family will love it. Thank you Katie!
Katie, a twenty-something living in the Windy City, is the founder and editor of Personally Paleo. Katie launched Personally Paleo, a food and wellness blog, after losing 85 pounds and running her first half marathon. She attributes much of her success to the transition to a Paleo lifestyle and has been featured by Primal Palate as a Paleo success story and presented at the Gluten Free Allergen Friendly Expo. Primarily featuring paleo and gluten-free recipes, Personally Paleo is also a platform for Katie to introduce you to other bloggers, different ways to stay active and share her favorite eats. A self-proclaimed french fry aficionado, Katie uses Personally Paleo to help others find a balance between healthy living and having fun. See more & follow along on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest + Twitter.
Paleo Sweet Pistachio Bacon
- 1 package uncured, nitrate free bacon (like Pedersons or Applegate)
- 1 tablespoon maple sugar (substitute with coconut sugar if not available)
- 2 tablespoons pistachios, chopped/crushed
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Cover a cookie sheet with tin foil. If you have one, place a cooling rack on top of the foil to help separate bacon from the grease.
- Spread bacon across rack/sheet. Cook bacon in oven for ~15 minutes.
- While cooking, chop/crush pistachios using a mallet or food processor.
- In a small bowl, mix together your sugar and pistachios and set aside until ready for use.
- Remove bacon from oven and coat/sprinkle each piece with the nut/sugar mixture. You can use part or all of your mixture, depending on how you'd like it.
- Place bacon back in the oven until cooked to your liking. I cook mine about 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and briefly cool before serving.