A big thanks to Tina for letting me share this recipe for grain free paleo bread rolls on her blog today! I hope you all love these bread rolls as much as I do!
Grain free bread rolls! Am I kidding? No, absolutely not. These paleo bread rolls are as serious as they get with their warm yeasty flavor, soft texture inside and crunchy crust. Primal, Paleo, whatever you want to call it, these beautiful bread rolls are all of the above, but you would never know it. Bread was one of the biggest things I really missed since going on the paleo diet. If you would have told me the first year into my paleo adventure that I would be making grain free bread, I would have thought you were crazy! But sure enough, three years later, here I am. Making delicious paleo bread rolls and loving every minute of it!
These grain free bread rolls are easier to make then you might think and they are amazing served with a bit of coconut butter and jam, or Tina’s recipe for paleo spiced butter or made into a yummy sandwich! I’m guessing if you are paleo, the last time you ate bread was far too long ago. Let’s change that, because eating paleo is a lifestyle that should be enjoyed. It’s time to create space for you to enjoy the lovely things in life, like a warm slice of bread.
Making bread with cassava flour is one of the best things I have discovered since going paleo. Cassava flour is made from the whole root of the cassava. You may have heard of tapioca flour, which comes from only the extracted starch from the cassava root. Cassava is a whole food and, when it is ground into flour, it makes a lovely texture that is perfect for baking breads and other baked goods! To order a bag of cassava flour visit this link HERE.
Please visit Kaylie at PaleoGlutenFree.com. It’s a great site loaded with recipes you will love!
In the meantime, enjoy these amazing grain-free rolls!
These paleo bread rolls are as serious as they get with their warm yeasty flavor, soft texture inside, and crunchy crust. They are easier to make then you might think and they are amazing served with a bit of coconut butter and jam or Tina’s paleo spiced butter or a yummy sandwich!
- Dry Ingredients
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 1 cup arrowroot flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 tablespoon golden milled flax meal
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Yeast mixture
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- Wet Ingredients
- 4 medium eggs
- 1/4 cup palm oil shortening
- Flour for Dusting
- 3 tablespoons cassava flour
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a Kitchen Aid and blend until the flours are combined.
- Heat your oven to 110F degrees and then turn it off and keep the door closed.
- Combine the yeast mixture ingredients in a small metal bowl and set it in the oven for 8 minutes until the mixture has risen and is bubbly.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine until the dough is thick and smooth.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the yeast mixture into the dough until the batter is well combined.
- Line a standard baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour about 2 teaspoons of the cassava flour designated for dusting onto the baking sheet and flour your hands. The dough will be very sticky, so flouring your hands and your work space is essential!
- Using a rubber spatula, scoop one fourth of the dough onto the baking sheet and roll it in the cassava flour. Form the dough into a round bread roll and repeat this process until all four bread rolls are on the baking sheet.
- Using a small paring knife, slice a small “X” on top of each bread roll.
- Let the dough rise for 50 minutes in a warm area. (Suggested: A low temp oven, about 110F degrees with the door cracked).
- After the dough has risen for 50 minutes, preheat the oven to 400F degrees.
- Bake the bread rolls at 400F for 15-20 minutes until golden on top.