I have seen and made a number of gluten-free and paleo nut butter recipes and decided to play around a bit with two nut butters and some good old crispy bacon. Oh yes! Fats from the nut oils are good for us and bacon speaks for itself. Right?! And especially with Christmas parties and holiday parties galore, this winning combination will be sure to please.
I was ready to dig in and then thought, “Why reinvent the wheel? Why not see what is out there and play with a trustworthy source and make myself some damn good nutbutter bacon cookies this afternoon!”
Well, many friends were raving about the fairly new cookbook, The Paleo Kitchen and making the Macadamia and Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe created by George Bryant of Civilized Caveman and Juli Bauer of PaleOMG. I knew this recipe would be a great one to check out. I adore them both and love the personalities they both have as well. Makes food fun! They make the idea of paleo fun. Basically, they are all about FUN! These two are my kind of people!
I looked up the recipe and I decided to make a few changes only due to my preference in lower carbs and sugars wherever I can IF POSSIBLE. Their recipe was and is perfect for everyone else and I do not suggest altering theirs if you are new to baking. Theirs as-is is great!
The changes I made were these: I lowered the honey from a ½ cup honey to ¼ cup, I used less chocolate chips, a pinch more salt, I added nuts, used stevia dark chocolate chips instead of chocolate chips with sugar, I added chopped bacon and hickory smoked salt. This all lowered the sugar and carbs quite a bit for my preferences overall and added more good healthy fats and a bit of a different flavor.
Please do check out and buy, The Paleo Kitchen. You will love it!
And be sure to also check out my latest giveaway and take a chance at winning an Omazing gift – they’re happening quite frequently. Enjoy!Print
- ¾ cup macadamia nut butter
- ¼ cup cashew butter
- ¼ cup organic honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon liquid vanilla extract
- 1 egg (room temp)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1/3 cup Lily’s Stevia Dark Chocolate chips, or regular if you prefer
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 slices cooked crispy bacon – I use 5280meat bacon
- 1 teaspoon hickory smoked salt (any salt or sea salt will work too)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the two nut butters, honey, coconut oil, vanilla, and egg in a bowl.
- Mix well by hand.
- Add the coconut flour and salt and mix well.
- Gently mix in the chocolate chips and nuts.
- Chill the batter a good 30-40 minutes or longer.
- Drop round tablespoon balls of dough on the parchment.
- Make a thumbprint.
- Add chopped bacon by pressing some into the hole.
- Add a small pinch of hickory salt to the top of each cookie.
- Place on rack in the center of the oven.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until slightly brown but not dark on edges.
- Remove from the oven and let sit on parchment.
- Remove to rack.
- Finish each batch as per the above.
These will last a few days. They will last very long in the refrigerator and are delicious cold as well.
If you have any questions or suggestions just email me at Tina (at) Paleomazing.com.