During my last European travels, while touring Italy, I had the pleasure of tasting the most divine (tangiest, garlickiest, nuttiest, yummiest) pesto around, inspiring my delicious paleo dairy free pesto recipe!
Pesto comes from a little region in Italy known as Liguria, which borders France. Legend has it that the word “pesto” comes from the way it was originally prepared, by mortar and pestle (mortaio e pestello). I don’t know about you, but I just love to learn little tidbits about the health benefits and origins of my favorite foods! You’re certainly welcome to make this recipe with the traditional mortar and pestle, but a blender or food processor will do too! 😉Print
Pesto is actually much more versatile than other condiments than you might think! Don’t just top it on your paleo pasta or paleo bread, but top your meats with it or spread it over some veggies for a burst of Italian flair of flavor!
- Handful of pine nuts
- 3 cloves of garlic, depending on taste
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 handfuls of fresh basil, chopped
- Olive oil
- Drop or two of lemon juice to taste
- Brown half of the pine nuts in a dry pan.
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend together.
- If you prefer a more rustic pesto, grind the garlic with the basil leaves and salt in a mortar and pestle, remove, and then mash in the pine nuts.
- Mix with olive oil.
- Adjust the flavor of your dairy-free pesto by adding a drop or two at a time of lemon juice.
If you have any questions or suggestions just email me at Tina (at) Paleomazing.com.