I used to be a HUGE dessert fanatic on the gluten free diet, which I followed for health reasons since I have celiac disease (which is triggered by gluten). I used to crave sweets ALL the time! I hosted a lot of gluten-free cupcake parties and taste-tested and reviewed all sorts of gluten-free treats from different companies, and boy, was I in heaven. Funny thing is, now that I’m paleo-ish, my body gets what it needs and I’ve made it past the sugar and grain cravings, so sugar-free paleo desserts like these healthy chocolate treats really satisfy my sweet tooth!
These healthy treats are great to keep around. I like to make a batch of these at the beginning of the week and leave a little bowl of them out for when I’m hanging out in the kitchen experimenting with paleo recipes, or for late at night when I’m chatting with my hubby or kids in the kitchen. (Wow, I really do spend a lot of time in the kitchen. It’s definitely the “hub” of the house since I’m such a foodie!)
I think you’ll find the dates surprisingly sweet, especially as you gradually lay off the sugar as you follow the paleo diet more and more strictly. This recipe will also satisfy my raw and vegan friends – enjoy!Print
A dessert recipe that has “healthy” in the title? Welcome to my paleo-ish diet, where the foods you eat are actually GOOD for you AND taste good!
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup Medjool dates (soft ones)
- ¼ cup 100% dark chocolate powder (I only use organic)
- Finely crust the walnuts in a pestle.
- In a separate bowl or food processor, make a date paste with your dates by mashing them and adding no more than 1 teaspoon pure water.
- Mix the walnuts and dates together.
- Add your chocolate powder.
- Blend evenly.
- Take a teaspoon or small melon ball scooper and make small, even balls.
- You can refrigerate and eat the treats in 30 minutes or you can flatten (like I did) and dehydrate at 105F degrees for 12 hours.
If you have any questions or suggestions just email me at Tina (at) Paleomazing.com.