Outdoor and pool side time, a few BBQs and it is getting warmer and warmer outside. It is time to roll up the sleeves and make some terrific paleo recipes (and always gluten-free in my kitchen) for family, guests and just for cooling own. This easy and quick to make soft serve, Paleo Vanilla Bean Ice Cream is also one you can make ahead and it is sure to remain soft in your freezer!
The use of vanilla bean really adds so much flavor and you get those specks of pure vanilla that just remind everyone of true homemade. You can buy vanilla beans in most grocery stores these days and if not they are available online and will be sent in packs. I tend to use Madagascar Bourbon or Tahitian beans. I also have seen them at Williams-Sonoma and Sur La Table. You can also purchase Mexican beans and I hear they are terrific in making ice cream yet I have not tried them yet.
The directions are pretty A to B; nothing complicated about this paleo dessert. Please always read the ingredients list first and be sure you have all that you need. The rest is simple and so rewarding, not to mention so incredibly delicious!
I want to also thank the gals at SwissPaleo.ch: Julie, Lisa and Susan for their fun and informative website which is helping the community at large, and for giving me a basic idea with which to adapt to make my soft serve vanilla bean ice cream. Here is their ice cream recipe with grilled peaches served on the side.
Now enjoy this delightful treat and don’t forget to also enter my latest PaleOmazing giveaway. I hope you win!Print
This easy and quick to make soft serve, Paleo Vanilla Bean Ice Cream is also one you can make ahead and it is sure to remain soft in your freezer! The use of vanilla bean really adds so much flavor and you get those specks of pure vanilla that just remind everyone of true homemade. The directions are pretty A to B; nothing complicated about this recipe.
- 16oz full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean pod (optional)
- 2 teaspoons rum
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup raw vanilla or maple syrup
- NOTE: ½ teaspoon vanilla paste may be used in place of vanilla extract yet it does have sugar.
- Pour coconut milk, egg yolks, vanilla extract and maple syrup (or raw vanilla) into a sauce pan.
- Cut the vanilla bean in half down the middle – horizontal-wise.
- Scrape the inside into the pan.
- Stir all.
- Heat the mixture on low-medium heat.
- Increase the temperature after a few minutes.
- Bring to a low boil while whisking.
- Slowly stir in the rum.
- Remove from heat after about 15 seconds.
- Let cool on the counter for an hour.
- Place in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Pour the chilled mixture into your prepared ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s directions.
- Your ice cream is ready to eat now or you may store in a glass-covered container.
If you have any questions or suggestions just email me at Tina (at) Paleomazing.com.