Now I won’t go ahead and say that turnips taste exactly the same as potatoes, but they can definitely take the place of them more times than not – especially with a spicy turnip fries recipe like this one. They have a slightly distinct flavor about them that I really enjoy. One major benefit is that they won’t leave you bloated like potatoes can.
Many of you may not be that familiar with using turnips. I discovered their many uses a bit ago and have been coming up with many healthy, paleo recipes using them ever since. You may have tried my regular turnip fries recipe already. Pretty easy and really tasty.
This recipe is a fun play on my original turnip recipe with an added “kick.” These fries won’t be crispy like those traditional fast food fried ones. They are more like a mix between fries and potato wedges. Definitely a lot healthier for you than fried fast food though!
Make some creamy dip to go along with these and you will be in business!
I hope you enjoy – my family loves them! Instructions and ingredients below. 🙂
Also check out my giveaway page. I’m continuing to have many fun giveaways that you won’t want to miss!Print
- 2 large turnips
- 2 tablespoons room temperature coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil for baking pan
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (more or less according to preference)
- Optional: additional sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees.
- Line your baking pan with sturdy tin foil.
- Coat the foil with ½ teaspoon of coconut and wipe off excess.
- Peel the turnips.
- Cut in 1/3“ (large) French fry strips.
- Place in a deep bowl.
- Pour coconut oil on the cut raw turnips and coat all liberally.
- Add salt and mix in well.
- Add parsley and coat thoroughly.
- Add garlic powder and coat thoroughly.
- Add chili powder and coat liberally.
- Bake 15 minutes in middle of the oven.
- Remove and flip over, then bake another 15-20 minutes.
- Remove when they are crispy.
- Salt as desired and serve as they are or serve with a creamy dip.
These turnip fries will not be crispy like a McDonald’s French fry. They will be less firm but they will be FAR BETTER for you and unique and delicious.