With Memorial Day upon us we will no doubt be snacking and munching throughout the day and hopefully pool side or at the beach with loads of delicious food in either case. My Paleo and of course gluten free Hummus Momma Style recipe is a perfect treat in the heat, is not terribly filling, is full of nutrition and good oil and takes literally minutes to make.
This recipe is void of garbanzo beans, AKA: legumes! Legumes cause an inflammatory response in our bodies and are resistant to digestive enzymes. So, they are not a good scene for our health. You can read much more about that topic on my Paleo Food List page, too.
Legumes are plants whose seeds develop inside pods, and on the Paleo Diet, these are to be avoided. If you’re wondering why this is, you’re not the first to ask. Like cereal grains and dairy products, legumes were not a common part of the diet of our human ancestors before the agricultural revolution.
Legumes, just as with cereal grains, contain anti-nutrients such as lectins, saponins, and protease inhibitors. These are things which cause damage to the intestines and hormonal and immune systems, leading to inflammation and increasing the risk of inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. Just a tad bit of advice before you head over to that bowl of bean dip with melted cheese and corn chips, to wake feeling like crap the next day or even before. I am warning you… 🙂 because I care about you!
Enjoy your holiday and take advantage of your time with family and/or friends and less time slaving in the kitchen. Serve this with my Raw Cilantro Pesto and Spicy Raw Kale Chips and you will be the hit of the day. Both recipes are a whiz to make and will leave you plenty of time to enjoy your company, as it should be.
Happy Memorial Day!Print
This is a delicious replacement to the standard legume-laden hummus recipes, as legumes cause an inflammatory response in your body and are resistant todigestive enzymes. So enjoy the heck out of this recipe!
- 1/4 cup creamy tahini
- ½ green medium sized zucchini
- 1 – 2 cloves of garlic (to taste)
- Juice of two small lemons
- 1–1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon extra fine ground sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon Hungarian smoked paprika for garnish
- Extra olive oil for garnish
- Cut zucchini in half, length wise.
- Scoop out the inside of the zucchini – getting the pulp.
- Place pulp into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the tahini and garlic cloves and blend.
- Add the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, onion powder and cumin.
- Blend all until creamy.
- Place in a small appetizer serving dish.
- Top with olive oil and some paprika.
- Serve with Paleo crackers or thin sliced Paleo toast.